Friday 16 November 2012

Cataloging, Putting it Together!

 Cataloging is only one of the jobs of a TL. It is however one of the most important jobs.  Being able put everything together by finding the learning resources and putting them into out catalogue for students and staff to use extenuates our importance in our schools. Below is the weekly activity where we explored operating  systems and purchasing.

In my district we have a centralized library cataloging system the LS2. Cataloging is done through this system by the school librarian. The only schools in this district to have any library clerk time is the high schools. At the elementary level we are looking at losing TL time , there are no clerks. With the LS2 there is a centralized database where all records are preprogramed based on isbn’s and book entries, it’s fairly simple to use. My districts just implemented the LS2 system two years ago and while the other operating services (OCLC) seem excellent they would not be purchased by my district. Most of the purchases in done by the TL in my library is done locally at a book store that gives a discount, the Scholastic book sale, and through online sites such as chapters. My school does not purchases s through Follett or ULS although I can see the benefits of library bindings in the wear and tear off books.

By exploring the jobbers and all of the bibliographic options out there from the readings and activities this week I can see the benefits of the programs and options that are out there. Being that my district has the integrated LS2 model I’m not sure of the options that the individual TL has or if there is a budget to use anything other than what is provided for you since I’m not the TL. In regards to purchasing books and supplies I know that TL’s have full autonomy and if I was the TL I would explore the book purchasing and binding supplies further.

No comments:

Post a Comment