Saturday 3 November 2012

DDC and ME

In going through this weeks lesson and browsing through the class discussion I have realized that learning  the DDC can be fun.  In my discussion post I talked about two activities that I have done in the past.  I also liked two of the websites posted by Jane Leslie.  I will now post my discussion post for this week and the two online Dewy Decimal games to play.

Online Games:

http://quizlet.com/8431990/dewey-decimal-categories-flash-cards/

https://jeopardylabs.com/play/the-dewey2

My DDC Discussion Post
Last year during job action when we were instructed not to administer the FSA's my principal took my class and I took the grade 5's from another class and did library training with them. I made up two activities for them around the DDC.
Activity 1 DDC Pictionary: Just the same as regular Pictionary but with the clues being DDC numbers and subject headings. The class was divided into teams and they took turns drawing out their clues. The students had a really fun time and seemed to retain the main categories.
Activity 2 Draw the Library: Students drew a map of the library and then labeled each section and sub section section with drawings including the Non Fiction section with DDC subsections. The result was beautifully creative maps that described the DDC in a fun way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment