Saturday 20 October 2012

CIP, MARC Records, and Assignment 2

This has been a busy week with this weeks readings and assignment on CIP and comparing it to MARC records and working on Assignment 2.  Below I have posted my thoughts and post for week 7 finding that both CIP and Marc have their purposes and that if I had to create my own record I would use both to help in the process.
Working on Assignment 2 this week has been a delight thus far.  I'm enjoying my topic Fairy Tales and Fractured Fairy Tales.  I did a unit on this topic at the end of last year and can't wait to do it agin with my class this year.  I hope that I've picked a diverse enough collection.  I have DVD's, picture books, teacher resources, and websites.  I hope that by Wednesday everything comes together in a nice little package.

Week 7 Posting CIP and MARC Records


I used the VPL to look at the MARC records for my three books.  The three books that I chose were off of my book shelf and I will be using them in assignment three.  The three books are Peter Pan and Wendy, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, and Jack and the Beanstalk.
Peter Pan and Wendy by J.M. Barrie the Centenary Edition is the first book that I compared with the MARC records and fount hem to be quite comparable.  One thing that was missing from the MARC record that was found in the CIP inside the book was that all proceeds of the book went to Great Ormand Street Hospital. 
Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll is the second book that I compared and like Pete Pan the records compared well, which is to be expected since they are from the same publishers and the same information is found in the CIP page of the book. I’m finding that more information could be given in the CIP documentation as the MARC records seem to have more data on them.
The last book that I looked at this week was Jack and the Beanstalk retold by Ann Keay Beneduce.  The only difference I found between the MARC record and the CIP record was the CIP had all of the different publication companies and cities while the MARC only stated New York and Philomel Books.  I can see the difficulties of placing all of the different publication citied and companies in a database record but should they not all be listed?

No comments:

Post a Comment