Saturday 6 October 2012

Cataloguing Process and Standards

For the regular everyday person you would more than likely never look at the expanded description or cataloging information for your favorite book.  Us TL's and future TL's must not be normal people because through this weeks readings and activities combined with the other work this term we have become a secret society with a secret language.  This week we have added access points to our new and ever expanding secret TL language.  As you can see I have tried to spice up what to the everyday person might think as boring (cataloging) to what is our own private language of cataloging and this weeks access points.  I personally found this weeks activity looking at 5 resources very valuable and it demonstrated all of the useful information that can be found on a library record.  I have also added my post from this weeks discussion for you all to look at as well.



For this activity I chose items from my home book and DVD collection.  I picked items that I have used or could possibly use in my classroom or library. I used the Vancouver Public Library to view a corresponding library record.
 3 DVD’s
Finding Nemo and Disney’s Earth (Extreme Environments) and Goonies (International Talk Like a Pirate Day).
The access points for these resources are:
Title, Call Number, Additional Contributors, Publisher, Series, Edition, ISBN, Language, Performers, Notes, Statement of Responsibility, Physical Description, and Library Identifier.
I found that the VPL provided a very good description through these access points for all of these resources.  From looking at the backs of the DVD’s and comparing the information given through the VPL  access points there is a clear description of the resources and what is to be expected before viewing the films themselves.
2 Novels
Holes and The Hobbit
The access points for these resources are:
Title, Author, Call Number, Publisher, Pages, Edition, ISBN, Language, Notes, Statement of Responsibility, Physical Description.
I found that the VPL provided a very good description through these access points for all of these resources.  From looking at the information found on the jacket of the books and comparing the access points documented on the VPL are very comparable and give a great description of the resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment