Saturday 13 October 2012

MARC Records, Kind of Like French!



This week we had another language to learn, MARC records, a common language in which to classify resources.  Below is my reflection on the activity for the week where we had to look at MARC records for resources provided in our course materials package and to attempt our own MARC record.
 
After looking at the MARC records from the examples in our course materials package and experimenting with a copy of Grimm’s Fairy Tales I feel a bit more confident with our upcoming assignment.  I found that putting together my own MARC record was a bit daunting but with more practice it will get easier.  As stated in some of my previous discussion posts I’m not the most tech savvy person and will be taking my time with Assignment 2.  

I used the Library of Congress, AMICUS, and the VPL sites to view the MARC records and try my fairy tales one on my own.  I’m going to use Fairy tales and Fractured Fairy Tales as the topic of my mini collection.  I found all of the sites useful and easy to navigate.  While looking at the records it’s like looking at a foreign language.  With this weeks readings and this activity at least I’m starting to understand what’s going on.  It’s kind of like learning French!

No comments:

Post a Comment